Ref Nop/1798
TitleBaggeridge Colliery, Himley
DescriptionMine buildings and winding gear at Baggeridge Colliery.
Datec1900
TermCoal mining
FormatPhotograph
Image

p1798.jpg

Thumbnail

p1701-1800/p1798.jpg

AccessStatusOpen
Extent1 item
LevelItem
AdminHistoryThe construction of the colliery's first shaft was begun in February 1899, and in July 1902 a seam of coal 24 feet thick was discovered. A second shaft found the same seam of coal in 1910. This considerable delay in completing the first works of the colliery was the result of the sinkers meeting what was described as 'a perfect sea of water' while sinking the second shaft. For 19 months the workers fought against the water without making a single inch of progress; the water was finally kept out by the use of cast-iron segment plates fixed for 40 yards in the shaft. The principal winding shaft was 17 feet in diameter and special methods for unloading the coal involved the use of both German and English technical ideas. This attempt to utilise at the pit the most modern machinery was also illustrated by the equipment used to raise the cages. 10 boilers were used to provide steam for the plant, 4 generating plants provided electricity that supplied power throughout the colliery. The colliery was equipped to deal with an output of 3120 tons each 8 hour shift. The winding engines were supplied by Messrs Frazer and Chalmers of Erith, who had earlier made the engines for the Sandwell Park Colliery and the compressors at the Mond Gas Works, Dudley Port. The colliery finally closed in March 1968.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/747Himley, Staffordshire, UK; Baggeridge Colliery; 1899-19681899-1968
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023